Junior and Intermediate Groups (Grades 7-9)
The University of Alberta – Soccer Centre of Excellence confirms its commitment to the continued growth and further development of the Green and Gold Soccer Academy at Vimy Ridge Academy for youth players. In this regard, we are pleased to announce that for our Intermediate/Junior groups or for those players in grades 7-9 we will continue to provide a 10 month or full year program for a fee of $2,000.
The Green and Gold Soccer Academy is a product of the Edmonton Public School’s commitment toward providing programs of choice that allow student athletes to pursue their passion for sports, music, dance (home to the Alberta School of Ballet) and cadets whilst realizing their academic potential. The school offers a variety of sports programming, including the Hockey Program and the Green and Gold Soccer Academy as well as flexible programming for students with an interest in tennis, skiing, diving, gymnastics, figure skating, golf, lacrosse, taekwon-do and swimming.
The fees collected are used principally to cover coaching, equipment, facility rental and transportation to the training facilities from the school.
The academy provides youth soccer players a solid enhancement program that is sports science-driven and supported by the University of Alberta. Players are placed in a challenging and enriching soccer training environment, under the guidance of professional, experienced coaches, utilizing the best outdoor and indoor soccer facilities in the City of Edmonton.
Our aim is to develop a player’s outstanding soccer potential by focusing on the technical, tactical and physical aspects relevant to the sport as well as an education in the benefits of a healthy lifestyle, nutrition, time management skills and the psychological aspects that accompany athletic performance.
To ensure that we continue to deliver a well-rounded program for our Junior and Intermediate groups the academy will provide the following:
On field sessions will be tailored to the particular demands and level of development (technical/tactical) of the Junior and Intermediate age groups.
- The academy will seek to meet the Physical Education and Health curriculum for grades 7, 8 and 9 and all players in the academy will receive a physical education and Health mark for their participation in the academy soccer program.
- Players will be involved in 3 on field technical sessions per week at the Campus Saint Jean during the fall.
- Players will be involved in 3 on field technical sessions per week at the Edmonton Indoor Soccer Centre South during the winter months.
- Players will be involved in 3 on field technical sessions per week at Foote Field during the month of April in preparation for the outdoor season and tryouts for club and provincial teams.
- Players will be involved in 3 on field technical sessions per week at the Campus Saint Jean during the early outdoor season
The addition of scheduled off-field sessions will allow us to begin to formalize programming aimed at developing those further skills important to soccer success. The areas of concentration for these off-field sessions will be:
- Education in Healthy Lifestyle and Time Management Skills
- Running, Coordination and Agility Training
- Strength Development
- Mental Training
- Care and Prevention of Injuries