Senior Group (Grades 10-12)
The University of Alberta–Soccer Centre of Excellence confirms its commitment to the continued growth and further development of the Green and Gold Soccer Academy at Vimy Ridge Academy for youth players. In this regard, we are pleased to announce that for our Senior groups or for those players in grades 10, 11 or 12 we will continue to provide a 10 month or full year program for a fee of $2,000.
The fees collected are used principally to cover coaching, equipment, facility rental and transportation to the training facilities from the school.
The Green and Gold Soccer Academy is a product of the Edmonton Public School’s commitment toward providing programs of choice that allow students to pursue their passion for sports, music, dance (home to the Alberta School of Ballet) and cadets whilst realizing their academic potential. The school offers a variety of sports programming, including the Hockey Program, the Green and Gold Soccer Academy as well as flexible programming for students with an interest in tennis, diving, gymnastics, figure skating, golf, lacrosse, and swimming.
The academy provides youth soccer players a solid enhancement program that is sports science-driven and supported by the University of Alberta. Players are placed in a challenging and enriching soccer training environment, under the guidance of professional, experienced coaches, utilizing the best outdoor and indoor soccer facilities in the City of Edmonton.
Our aim is to develop a player’s outstanding soccer potential by focusing on the technical, tactical and physical aspects relevant to the sport as well as an education in the benefits of a healthy lifestyle, nutrition and the psychological aspects that accompany athletic performance.
To ensure that we continue to deliver a well-rounded program for our Senior groups the academy will move to make the following changes for the coming school year:
On field sessions will be tailored to the particular demands and level of development (technical/tactical) of the Senior age group.
- The academy will seek to meet the Physical Education curriculum for grades 10, 11 and 12, as well as Career and Technology (CTS) modules and Locally Developed Courses. For example, Calm, Sports Medicine or Coaching.
- Players will receive 5 credits for Physical Education 10, 20 or 30 and an additional 5 credits for CTS and/or the Locally Developed Courses for a total of 10 credits per year.
- Players will be involved in 3 on field technical sessions per week at the Campus Saint Jean during the fall
- Players will be involved in 3 on field technical sessions per week at the Edmonton Indoor Soccer Centre South.
- Players will be involved in 3 on field technical sessions per week at Foote Field during the month of April in preparation for the outdoor season and tryouts for club or provincial teams.
- Players will be involved in 3 on field technical sessions per week at the Campus Saint Jean during the early outdoor season
The addition of scheduled off-field sessions will allow us to begin to formalize programming aimed at developing those further skills important to soccer success. The areas of concentration for these off-field sessions will be:
- Academic Support & University/College Preparation
- Running, Coordination and Agility Training
- Strength Development
- Mental Training
- Care and Prevention of Injuries